Educators: Thanks for being part of the 14th annual NW Youth Careers Expo! Here’s a summary of resources and materials that will help you and your students prepare for the big day on Tuesday, March 13, 2018. We will be updating this post regularly.
Step 1: Register your students.
Our school registration page has information about signing up for this statewide event. Students are welcome from across Oregon and SW Washington, with priority given to PWA’s contract partners. (January update: School registration is closed due to high demand.)
Step 2: Browse your Teacher Packet.
The 2018 NW Youth Careers Expo Teacher Packet gives an overview and provides sample activities for students before, during and after the Expo. We send you an “early edition” at registration.
Step. 3: Check out our other online resources and printable handouts.
Teacher favorites include:
- List of exhibitors: See the participating employers, colleges and apprenticeship centers at the Expo. Printable one-page handout.
- Printable student-friendly map of the Expo floor. Shows how the Expo is divided into Zones.
- Tips for students: Student-centered advice for making the most of the Expo experience.
- Mock interviews and Career Talks: Learn more about the mock interviews at the Expo, as well as the 20-minute Career Talks on topics such as “How to Ace Your Job Interview,” “How to Land a Summer Job” and “Uncover Hidden, High-Paying Jobs.” Includes printable handouts and preparatory material.
- Industry spotlights: Learn more about exhibitors in high-demand areas such as technology, health care, construction & design, manufacturing, and arts & communications. Includes printable handouts.
- Video 1: Fun one-minute Expo highlight video
- Online photo gallery of our last Expo
- PowerPoint: Another tool for classroom preparation.
- Expo poster: An 11”x17” color poster for your bulletin board: “7 things to Love about the Expo”
- Expo handout: An 8”x11” color handout: “7 things to Love about the Expo”
- Video 2: “5 Tips for a Great Expo” (50 seconds)
- Video 3: Fun montage of footage from the Expo floor (2 minutes)
- Video 4: Video with interviews about PWA’s work in career exploration (4 minutes). Geared toward adults but can provide some context.
Step 4: Go!
Look for this at the Expo: The official 2018 Expo Resource Guide. Look for the huge stack of complimentary printed guides right outside the Expo hall. It includes a map of the Expo floor, a directory of exhibitors and sponsors, and information about mock interviews and career talks. (Click here to view the electronic version.)
Enjoy the day with your students, and thank you for supporting their career exploration.