Educators: Thanks for being part of the 16th annual NW Youth Careers Expo! Here's a summary of resources and materials that will help you and your students prepare for the big day on Tuesday, March 10, 2020.
Step 1: REGISTER YOUR STUDENTS
Our school registration page has information about signing up for this statewide event. Students are welcome from across Oregon and SW Washington, with priority space and arrival times for PWA's contract partners. (Registration is FULL for 2020.)
STEP 2: BROWSE THE TEACHER PACKET
The 2020 NW Youth Careers Expo Teacher Packet gives an overview and provides sample activities for students before, during and after the Expo.
STEP 3: CHECK OUT ONLINE RESOURCES & PRINTABLES
List of Exhibitors: See the participating employers, colleges and apprenticeship centers at the 2020 Expo. Read the printable Industry Spotlights and browse exhibitors in high-demand areas such as technology, health care, construction & design, manufacturing, and arts & communications.
Mock Interviews & Career Talks: Learn more about the mock interviews at the Expo, as well as the 20-minute Career Talks on topics such as "Flash Coding with Microsoft," “How to Ace Your Job Interview," and “How to Land a Summer Job."
Bus Handout with OCC Map: Important information about dropping off and picking up your students, including bus parking details. The Expo is in Halls D and C. Buses can drop students off along MLK Boulevard or Holladay Street (north side). Be patient and make sure you have your driver's cell number. (The OCC website has additional maps and helpful information about accessibility.)
Printable Handouts: Educators' Top 5 Picks
- Student "Get in the Zone" simple Expo Map
- Career Talk Schedule
- List of all Exhibitors (Exhibitor Page)
- Bus Handout & Expo Map: Bus info, including bus parking, car drop-off info, and a map of the Oregon Convention Center.
- PWA Student Breakfast invitation
- Fun 90-second Expo Highlight Video
- Mock Interview Advice and Preparation Packet
- Photo Highlights of the 2019 Expo.
- PowerPoint: Another tool for classroom preparation.
- Expo Poster: An 11x17 poster: 7 Things to Love About the Expo
- Expo Handout: An 8x11 handout: 7 Things to Love About the Expo
- Video of “5 Tips for a Great Expo” (50 seconds)
Step 4: Go!
Hours or days away?
- Review the "Know Before You Go" advice in your email inbox or here.
- Read: "Expo 2020: FAQs about the NW Youth Careers Expo and Coronavirus"
Finally, look for this at the Expo: The official 2020 Expo Resource Guide. Look for the huge stack of complimentary printed guides right outside the Expo Hall. It includes a map of the Expo floor, a numbered directory of exhibitors and sponsors, and information about mock interviews and career talks. (You can browse the electronic version here.)
Enjoy the day with your students, and thank you for supporting their career exploration.