Many Portland-area employers want to help young people learn about careers in their industry, yet they are pressed for time or daunted by the idea of hosting teenagers.
That’s where PWA comes in.
PWA can help you organize a career day that engages a group of students at your office or worksite. We work with you to develop an agenda that fits into your workday. We collaborate with local schools to recruit and register students, and we provide 1-3 staff members to help things run smoothly. We also provide a “toolkit” of resources for you, such as:
- a brochure on how to organize a career day that includes feedback from students and employers, sample agendas and a guide to getting started with help from PWA
- sample agendas from recent career days, including advice from people who have done it
- tips for talking with high school students
- sample questions that students may ask you
- a printable list of our career days on our events page.
We work with businesses and organizations to offer more than 30 career days a year at every kind of workplace, from design firms to hospitals. Great career days can be shorter (three hours) or longer (six hours), but they tend to have three things in common: personable employees who chat candidly with students about their education and career paths; opportunities for students to interact with each other and participate in an activity or simulation; and useful information, such as mock interviews combined with practical advice for acing a job search.
Interested? Contact us and we’ll get you started.