Fast facts on sports & apparel jobs:
- The Portland area has the highest concentration of athletic and outdoor firms in the nation.
- Portland is home to the Portland Trail Blazers, the Portland Timbers/Thorns, the Winterhawks hockey league, multiple minor league baseball teams and the international championship-winning Rose City Rollers roller derby team.
- Explore this guide that outlines some of the most popular careers in sports for non-athletes.
- Check out the incredible range of local athletic and sports apparel careers and companies with this interactive tool.
- Learn about the North American Society for Sport Management, an organization for students who are interested in athletic management or sports psychology as a career option.
- Read articles in the Human Kinetics journal in various subject areas.
- Share what you learned with your peers on social media by using the hashtag #PWAExpo2Go
Leading employers in sports & apparel:
Nike: American multinational association that is involved in the design, development, manufacturing and worldwide marketing and sales of apparel, footwear, accessories, equipment and services. World headquarters near Beaverton, Oregon. Offers internships where interns are involved in real projects and exposed to multiple teams.
KEEN Footwear: American company based in Portland, Oregon. Founded in 2003 with a single style, the company has expanded its categories to kids, boots, bags, work gear and apparel. They have employees working in product creation, marketing & creative and digital engagements.
Portland Timbers: Major league soccer team based in Portland, Oregon. Also has Timbers2 and Thorns teams. Career opportunities range from operations and concessions at Providence Park to youth camps and paid seasonal internships.