Fast facts on public & human services jobs:
- Public service jobs range from working with government organizations including the US Military to family service agencies and 501(c)(3) nonprofits.
- Public and human service jobs can give you a deep insight into diverse fields like diplomacy, public safety, and education.
- Browse a job board to see what kind of public service jobs are out there.
- Explore resources provided by STEPS (Student Training and Education in Public Service).
- Learn about health and safety at work through the O[yes] Young Employee Safety Awareness online training.
- Read AC Online and MSW Degrees' resource guides to learn more about what a career in public service is about, how to get a career serving a higher cause, and where to find public service internships and jobs.
- Share what you learned with your peers on social media by using the hashtag #PWAExpo2Go
Leading employers in public & human services:
City of Portland - Bureau of Environmental Services: Manages Portland's wastewater and stormwater infrastructure to protect public health and the environment.
Portland Parks & Recreation: Provides safe places, facilities, and programs which promote physical, mental, and social activity in Portland. Summer & seasonal jobs available.
Worksystems: Non-profit organization that pursues and invests resources to improve the quality of the workforce in the City of Portland, Multnomah and Washington Counties. Develops policies and designs workforce development programs and services delivered through a network of local partners. Worksystems' SummerWorks program provides paid work experiences for young people, giving them the opportunity to learn valuable skills and explore career options.
Leading college options in public & human services:
Portland Community College: Oregon’s largest postsecondary institution, with multiple locations. Programs in public service, criminal justice, child and family studies, addiction counseling, and more.
Mt. Hood Community College: Community college located in Gresham, offering more than 120 professional and technical programs. Programs in environmental, health and safety, mental health, social service and addiction counseling, and more.
Index of additional employers and postsecondary partners**:
Clackamas Community College (Admissions & Recruitment)
Oregon Office of Student Access & Completion
Pacific University (School of Learning & Teaching)
Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue
** Recent participating exhibitors in the NW Youth Careers Expo.