Fast fact on business jobs:
- Employers in every sector need people who are business-minded, innovative, and good at communication. Acquiring these skills in high school and college will give students an edge after graduation.
- Business includes degrees in areas including finance, accounting, marketing, and management.
- According to a survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, 8 of the 10 top majors in demand by employers are business related.
- Read about the “100 Best Business Careers” and what jobs you can get with a business degree
- Read about the “Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in Business”
- Take the quiz “What business career suits you?”
- Check out this resource with career quizzes and career information geared toward girls.
- Share what you learned with your peers on social media by using the hashtag #PWAExpo2Go
Leading Northwest employers in business:
Barran Liebman LLP: Law firm with attorneys that focus on representing employers and providing solutions to clients' employment law and labor management needs. Located in Portland, Oregon, and assists clients in the Northwest and across the country.
Cinder Staffing: Staffing company with a mission “to build teams of rock stars that deliver awesome every day.” Ranked in Portland Business Journal’s “Fastest Growing Private Companies” 2015-2017.
Durham & Bates: Insurance company that helps businesses and individuals manage risks and brings global projects and programs together. Offices in Portland, OR and Vancouver WA.
OnPoint Community Credit Union: Local member-owned bank. Career opportunities in operations, accounting, wealth management, human resources, technology, marketing and more.
Portland HR Management Association (PHRMA): An affiliate chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Aims to advance the HR profession by providing networking and development opportunities to HR practitioners, business professionals, students, and volunteers in the greater Portland metropolitan area.
Umpqua Bank: Based in downtown Portland, focused on personal banking and lending, business banking and lending, and wealth management.
Wells Fargo: Headquartered in San Francisco, California, with central offices throughout the United States. Ranked in LinkedIn’s Top 50 Companies in 2019 where Americans want to work.
Leading Oregon college options in business:
Portland Community College: Oregon’s largest postsecondary institution, with multiple locations. Programs in business, management, marketing, accounting, and more.
Mt. Hood Community College: Community college located in Gresham, Oregon offering more than 120 professional and technical programs. Programs in business management, economics, mathematics, computer information systems and more.
Index of additional employers and postsecondary partners**:
Oregon Court Reporters Association
Young Entrepreneurs Business Week
** Recent participating exhibitors in the NW Youth Careers Expo.