Fast facts on technology jobs:
- Technology is one of the fastest growing and best-paying career paths in Oregon.
- Oregon jobs in Technology pay an average of $116,000 a year, more than twice the state average.
- Employers in virtually every sector need people with tech expertise. Acquiring tech skills in high school & college will give students an edge after graduation.
- More Than What You See on the Screen: Check out this Worksource resource on technology careers.
- Get the lay of land of the exciting range of tech careers here and find out all the places you can start learning to code for free.
- Learn more about local opportunities in Oregon's virtual/augmented reality community.
- Check out some great resources at code.org.
- Explore a summer camp or experience like Invention Bootcamp at PCC.
- Share what you learned with your peers on social media by using the hashtag #PWAExpo2Go
Leading employers in technology:
Amazon Web Services: AWS is the world's most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering over 200 fully featured services from data centers globally. AWS is usually called the cloud computing arm of Amazon. AWS has two offices in downtown Portland where people work in a wide variety of jobs. There are engineers, of course, but there are also marketing, sales, finance, administrative, and legal professionals. Click here to create beats and learn to code (this is part of Amazon Future Engineer). Learn more about the work done by AWS and how high school students can prepare to work in the tech industry.
Cozy: Technology company that provides online tools for landlords and renters. Founded in March 2012, and headquartered in Portland, Oregon. Part of PWA’s “Girls in Tech” Career Day series.
Intel: Oregon’s largest private employer with nearly 20,000 workers. A major driver of the state’s economy from its base in Hillsboro. Careers at Intel range from software, business, advanced manufacturing and more. Learn more about advanced manufacturing and what life in a clean room is like.
Microsoft: Software giant headquartered in Washington. Offers a 12-week summer internship program designed for students in their first or second year of college.
TechTown PDX: Originated as a collective effort to raise awareness of Portland as a place where tech companies and workers could grow and thrive. Now includes more than 20 tech companies, representing more than 2,300 workers.
Leading college options in technology:
Portland Community College: Oregon’s largest postsecondary institution, with multiple locations. Programs in technology include computer information systems, information technology, and more.
Mt. Hood Community College: Community college located in Gresham, Oregon offering more than 120 professional and technical programs. Technology programs in computer information systems, information technology, computer game development and more.
Index of additional employers and postsecondary partners**:
Clackamas Community College (business and computer science)
Oregon Institute of Technology
Warner Pacific University (SourceU)
** Recent participating exhibitors in the NW Youth Careers Expo.