PWA is no longer accepting applications for the 2021-22 Youth Impact Council.
NOVEMBER 3, 2021 — The nonprofit Portland Workforce Alliance is seeking motivated high school students to join its Youth Impact Council for 2021-22. Students will serve as advisory peer leaders while also building relationships and gaining access to career coaching for their own future. This is a paid role!
As a participant in the Youth Impact Council, students will have the unique opportunity to be a voice for their fellow students. Their ideas will inform PWA’s work to better serve Portland-area students.
WHAT STUDENTS SAY
- “It was such a unique and helpful experience! It helped narrow down my career decisions and especially improved my leadership skills, which was my main goal for this council.” - Ellie, Clackamas High School
- “I really enjoyed being a part of this and I loved all the things we did. Along with the information we gained and possibilities that were opened. ... Thank you for being a part of this and helping me become a better person and have better ideas.” - Zane, Clackamas High School
- “It’s amazing to be able to connect with people. It was great to learn about careers, especially careers that are harder to find and get into. This was just an amazing experience for helping kids achieve their dreams” - Dani, Gresham High School
WHAT TO EXPECT
What students will do: Students in the Youth Council have two main responsibilities: 1) Serve as a sounding board for PWA career experiences, such as providing the student voice and experience to the 2022 NW Youth Careers Expo and career-mentor programs. 2) Help shape the council's role and scope for future years.
Time commitment: The council will meet virtually once a month between December 2021 and June 2022 for 60-90 minutes after school. The first two meetings are Wednesday, Dec. 15 and Wed, Jan. 12, after school. Start time to be determined, either 4 or 4:30 p.m.
Additional opportunities are optional.
About PWA: PWA works with employers and high schools to create community-based career exploration that is meaningful, interesting, inclusive and (dare we say) fun.
- Leadership: Students may attend PWA board meetings and will have access to PWA officers and board members who are leaders in their respective industries. One student will be chosen as the official representative on the PWA Board of Directors.
- Completion stipend: Students who participate consistently in the monthly youth council meetings will receive a completion stipend at the end of the term ($200 for members, $350 for the board representative).
- Career readiness: Students may take advantage of career coaching, leadership opportunities, career talks and mentoring, if desired.
APPLICATION AND ELIGIBILITY
Eligibility and requirements: Students in grades 10-12 are eligible. Priority is given to students from PWA partner districts (North Clackamas, Parkrose, Reynolds, PPS, Gresham-Barlow and Oregon Charter Academy). Students do not need expertise or prior experience, only an interest in career readiness and a sincere commitment to "pay it forward" by helping shape current and future opportunities for their peers.
How to apply: Fill out this interest form no later than Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2021, at 6 PM. PWA will notify students by early December. Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inclusion statement: The PWA Youth Impact Council is intended to be inclusive and welcoming. We welcome diversity of all kinds, including gender identity, racial/ethnic background, sexual orientation and economic circumstance.