Fast facts on health care jobs:
- The health care sector is the region’s largest employer. The three main work environments are hospital, clinic and care facility.
- The average salary in health care exceeds $55,000, which is higher than average in other sectors. Registered nurses earn a median of $90,300!
- New treatments, plus a growing and aging population, means great job opportunities.
- Beyond Stethoscopes and Blood Draws: Check out this Worksource resource on health care careers.
- Explore the many different types of nursing, salary ranges and education requirements and more.
- Go beyond doctors and nurses and learn about the wide range of career options as a allied health professional.
- Find out what happens in a hospital laboratory. You might be surprised to know all the careers health professionals need behind-the-scenes.
- Share what you learned with your peers on social media by using the hashtag #PWAExpo2Go
Leading employers in health care:
Kaiser Permanente: Leading health care employer. PWA Career Day host. Has multiple programs for high school students, such as the KP YEAH! Program.
Legacy Health: Major health care employer. PWA Career Day host. Runs seven hospitals and multiple clinics and outpatient facilities.
Willamette Dental: Largest specialty dentist practice in the Pacific Northwest. Offers jobs such as Dentist or Specialist, Dental Hygienist, Dental Assistant, Customer Service, and more.
Providence Health & Services: Employs 119,000 caregivers in 51 hospitals, 1,085 clinics and a range of health and social services across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington.
Leading college options in health care:
Portland Community College: Oregon’s largest postsecondary institution, with multiple locations. Programs in health care include medical technician, health information management, veterinary technology, addiction counseling and more.
Oregon Health & Science University: Major public university, health care employer, and research institution. PWA Career Day partner. Leads On Track OHSU! program and has volunteer opportunities for people age 16 and up.
Mt. Hood Community College: Community college located in Gresham, Oregon offering more than 120 professional and technical programs. Programs in health professions in dental hygiene, mental health, and more.
Index of additional employers and postsecondary partners**:
Cascadia Behavioral Health Care
Clackamas Community College (health sciences)
George Fox University (nursing department)
Marquis Companies (elder care)
Oregon Institute of Technology (health care)
University of Portland (School of Nursing)
** Recent participating exhibitors in the NW Youth Careers Expo.