Every year, we ask exhibitors and educators to rate their experience at the NW Youth Careers Expo. This feedback helps us know what’s working and how we might improve. Here are some key statistics and testimonials from this year’s survey.
- 95% described the hands-on demonstrations as excellent or good
- 100% rated the mock interviews as excellent or good
- 97% rated pre-Expo communication as excellent or good
- 100% said “yes” or “maybe” to returning next year (85% said definitely)
- 95% said they were happy with the Convention Center facility
- 81% see the Expo as a good or excellent value
- 79% rated student preparation as excellent or good
- 93% rated pre-Expo communication as excellent or good
- 98% said “yes” or “maybe” to returning next year (77% said definitely)
- “The youth career expo is the single biggest and best career-experience for youth in the Portland metro area, period.” – Portland educator
- Coming from a rural community, our kids are never going to have a chance to talk with so many people representing such as diverse group of career opportunities in one place. The Careers Expo is an excellent event where they can do just that.” — Diane Johnson, Sandy High School
- “My sophomore AVID students were nervous about participating in the mock interviews, but they learned a lot, including how to turn their weaknesses into strengths during an interview. They will be much more comfortable interviewing next time, whether at next year’s Expo, or for an actual job.” — Caroline Blackledge, Tualatin High School
- “I’d like to commend you on a fabulous event! (We) had a great time connecting with the students and we’re excited to find more ways to partner with PWA.” — New Relic
- Moda has participated in the Expo for the past two years and the staff has truly enjoyed engaging with high school students and learning more about their interest and future goals.” — Moda
- “As a first-year participant, Umpqua Bank was pleasantly surprised by the students in attendance; the preparedness of the students and their engagement. We are excited to participate in 2017!” — Umpqua
- “I love having a hands-on booth, as I think students gain a better perspective and engage more when they are invited to participate rather than just talking at them.” — Emerick Construction
- My team and I really enjoyed being out there with all the students. Our software engineers couldn’t believe how easily the students picked up programming from our logics game. It was definitely a great experience and from my team’s feedback, they definitely would want CDK Global to participate next year. — CDK Global
We’re still poring over our survey data and other feedback to spot patterns. Right now, we’re seeing lots of positive trends regarding student preparedness and overall Expo satisfaction. We’re also looking at ways to improve traffic flow and smooth student attendance throughout the day.
SEE OUR PHOTO GALLERY FROM THE 2016 EXPO
Thank you again to everyone who participated in the Expo. We had 39 sponsors and about 160 exhibitors who attracted about 6,500 students from 75+ high schools in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our Expo volunteers talked with students, led hands-on activities and conducted 1,750+ mock interviews. (Special thanks to PHRMA, one of our sponsors, for their great volunteer outreach.)
Save the date: Next year’s PWA Breakfast and 13th annual NW Youth Careers Expo will be held on Tuesday, March 14, 2017, at the Oregon Convention Center.