Educators: Thanks for being part of the 13th annual NW Youth Careers Expo! Here’s a summary of resources and materials that will help you and your students prepare for the big day on Tuesday, March 14, 2017. We will be updating this post regularly.
Step 1: Register your students.
Our school registration page has information about signing up. Update, Feb. 13, 2017: School registration is closed and our waiting list is full. More than 7,000 students have registered from 70+ high schools!
Step 2: Browse your Teacher Packet.
The 2017 NW Youth Careers Expo Teacher Packet gives an overview and provides sample activities for students before, during and after the Expo. We send you an “early edition” at registration.
Step. 3: Check out our other online resources and printable handouts.
Teacher favorites include:
- List of exhibitors: See the participating employers, colleges and apprenticeship centers at this year’s Expo. Includes a printable one-page handout.
- Tips for students: Student-centered advice for making the most of the Expo experience.
- Mock interviews: Learn more about the mock interviews at the Expo, as well as the 20-minute Career Talks on “How to Ace Your Job Interview,” “How to Land a Summer Job” and “Uncover Hidden, High-Paying Jobs.” Includes printable handouts and preparatory material.
- Industry spotlights: Learn more about exhibitors in high-demand areas such as technology, health care, construction & design, manufacturing, and arts & communications. Includes printable handouts and featured blog posts for each sector.
- Expo poster: An 11”x17” color poster for your bulletin board: “7 things to Love about the Expo”
- Expo handout: An 8”x11” color handout: “7 things to Love about the Expo”
- Blog post: “What’s NEW at the Expo: Career Talks, bigger space, Lightbulb campaign“
- Blog post: “Expo 2017: Summer jobs, internships and more“
- Online photo gallery of the 2016 Expo
- Student-prep video: “5 Tips for a Great Expo” (50 seconds)
- Student-prep video 2: Fun montage of footage from the Expo floor (2 minutes)
- Video about PWA’s work: 4-min video about career exploration. Geared toward adults but can provide some context.
Step 4: Go!
Look for this at the Expo: The official 2017 Expo Resource Guide. Look for the huge stack of complimentary printed guides right outside the Expo hall. It includes a map of the Expo floor, a directory of exhibitors and sponsors, and information about mock interviews and career talks. (Update: The resource guide is now available online! Click here to view or print.)
Enjoy the day with your students, and thank you for supporting their career exploration.