PWA is offering a free nursing mentorship program for high school students. During the four-week program in November and December 2023, students will engage with local nursing schools and health care employers to explore careers in nursing.
The group will meet on Tuesdays and will include peer coaching from local nursing students, hands-on learning, advice from nursing admissions officers, and connections with local health care professionals. Information on future opportunities for students will be provided at each session. Students who participate in all four sessions will receive a Certificate of Completion at the last session as well as their own dual-head college-level stethoscope!
Students will learn about the many career paths in nursing and gain insight into college options including OHSU School of Nursing, University of Portland School of Nursing and Linfield College School of Nursing, as well as Portland Community College pathways in nursing, healthcare and emergency professions (EMT, medical assistant, and more). The program aims to strengthen and diversify the local pipeline of future nurses, while helping students develop the confidence, knowledge and early professional networks that support college-and-career success.
Program Schedule Here:
- Nov. 7, 2023, 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm - Linfield College School of Nursing, Portland Campus
- Nov. 14, 2023, 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm - Oregon Health & Science University (virtual)
- Nov. 28, 2023, 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm - University of Portland School of Nursing
- Dec. 5, 2023, 4:30 pm to 6:45 pm - Portland Community College, Cascade Campus
Eligibility & Application
Students in grades 10 & 11 (sophomores and juniors) who want to explore a nursing career are encouraged to apply. The application deadline is Friday, October 20, 2023, at 5 PM.
The program is generously made possible by our industry and postsecondary partners, including the University of Portland School of Nursing, Kaiser Permanente, Oregon Health & Science University, Legacy Health, Linfield College, Portland Community College, as well as by grant funding from partners including Kaiser Permanente and Legacy Health.
* All students are welcome to apply. Priority consideration will be given to students from partner districts who can attend all four sessions and who share brief compelling statements explaining their interest in participating, exploring careers and contributing to an inclusive workforce.