Mock Interview Volunteer Information
About 150 HR professionals offer mock job interviews for high school students at the annual NW Youth Careers Expo. These volunteers offer positive, constructive feedback that will help students for their next “real” interview for a job or college admission. Volunteers also hold 20-minute Career Talks.
Tips for Conducting a Mock Interview
- Interview students for about 7-8 minutes.
- When the interview is complete, evaluate the student and share feedback.
- Be friendly. Ask challenging questions. Listen carefully.
- Give students feedback that will encourage them and help them do better in future interviews.
- Emphasize the positive: Begin and end your evaluation with positive feedback, and gently discuss areas needing improvement.
- Arrive on time, dress professionally and have fun with students as they practice their interviewing skills.
Volunteering After the Expo
PWA also works year-round to recruit HR volunteers and facilitate mock interviews and resume workshops at Portland-area high schools, working in close partnership with the Portland Human Resource Management Association. HR professionals, please contact us if you'd like to learn more about year-round volunteering options.
Thank you to the Portland HR Management Association and Southridge High School for producing this material.