Download our 2017-18 Events Calendar
- This event has passed.
Design Week Portland: student fellowships
April 21, 2017 @ 8:15 am - April 22, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
Students should check in between 8:15 am and 8:40 am. Studio visits start promptly at 9 am. Students should wear comfortable walking shoes. Morning PWA contact cell number: Susan, (503) 577-6177.
Students in PWA’s partner school districts have the opportunity to participate in specific Design Week Portland programming and be exposed to creative careers within Portland’s robust, diverse design community. Student fellowships are underwritten by local firms and available through high schools in collaboration with Portland Public Schools and PWA. (Thank you to Design Week Portland leaders and participating firms for making this possible!)
- What: Student fellowships to participate in 1-2 days of Design Week Portland
- When: Friday, April 21 (plus a pass to attend Saturday programming as well)
- Time: Main program for students is 9 am to about 12:15 pm on Friday, April 21. See draft itinerary below. Students are also welcome to attend programming on Friday afternoon and Saturday.
- Check-in location: Design Week Headquarters (The Redd, 831 SE Salmon Street).
- Where: All in inner SE Portland. Studios, maker spaces and Revolution Hall (former Washington High School).
- Registration deadline: Friday, April 14.
- What: Each student will tour two studios or maker spaces and learn about their work. They will talk with the designers of the Green Loop concept and see the exhibition and prototype. Lunch included. They are also invited to attend Friday afternoon and Saturday speakers.
- Participating studios include Untitled Studio, New New Crusher Court, Kamp Grizzly, Adam Arnold, OMFG and Poler.
- In the news: Read an article in The Oregonian about Design Week.
- Students should plan on walking between sites, with possibility of some TriMet or shuttle.
How Design Week Portland describes itself: “Design Week Portland connects, informs, promotes, and catalyzes designers and aspiring designers in greater Portland through events, research, and service. Year over year, the festival deepens the impact of designers in the city, networks interesting people working on interesting projects, and elevates the city’s creative community globally.
“Through centrally curated content and independently produced programs, we explore the most interesting developments in Graphic Design, Architecture, Digital, Industrial Design, Craft, Illustration, Interior Design, Fashion & Apparel, Urban Planning, Film, Landscape, Design Criticism, and Education.”
Draft itinerary for Friday, April 21:
8:15 am: Student check-in at Headquarters (The Redd, 831 SE Salmon Street). Students will be assigned to a group for the studio visits. Students should wear comfortable walking shoes.
9 am: Each group of 15 students will visit two design companies / maker spaces in nearby SE Portland. Participating studios include Camp Grizzly (design & production/video, youth brands), New New Crusher Court (creative development, architecture), Poler (apparel), OMFG (branding, apparel, environment) Adam Arnold (fashion designer). Students will learn about their work as well as their career paths and education.
11 am: Students will re-convene at Headquarters (The Redd, 831 SE Salmon) and talk with designers from a local design collective about the Green Loop, a conceptual promenade linking east and west side. There will be a large prototype and exhibition. Pizza included!
1 pm onward: Speakers in design at Revolution Hall (the old Washington High School, 1300 SE Stark). These are like Ted Talks for designers, by designers. This is part of Design Week’s main programming; students are welcome to attend.
Saturday, April 22 (optional): Students with the fellowship are welcome to attend Design Week Saturday programming.